View Single Post
Old 09-21-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Good Check Behind?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
flop is a very standard bet imo

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Do you really think any of these guys will fold? The board is ultra coordinated and any 2 cards has the proper odds to call. Add in the distinct possibilty of getting c/red and I like this bet even less

P.S. - not to pick on you b/c others have done it as well but one liners like "this is a very standard bet" or "bet the flop" suck and add very little insight into the hand

[/ QUOTE ]

Both players have to fold 1 time in 6 to make the bet profitable just by itself. But this is not the only concern, if it was just for this reason I probably check as T9-boards hit a lot of limping hands.
What happens a lot more often is that one of them folds, the other calls and you take it down with a turn bet (depending on the card of course). If only one sees the turn, he has to fold only 1 in 4 times to it. Add to that the possibility that he calls, misses his draw and you win with a free showdown or that you hit your pair on the river (maybe getting another bet).
The bet also might get you a free card (if a J hits for example, you probably want to use it).

Your hand might be best on the flop, by checking the flop you lose your initiative and pretty much forfeit the pot unless the turn card is good for you. If they donk you dont know where you are and you dont want to call down the big streets in a small pot with A-high.

Lets assume both called your flop bet and the K comes on the turn just like in the real hand. Most of the time they both check to you. Now you can use your position and decide based on your opponents whether it is more profitable to semi-bluff at the K (its a good bluffing card as they cant have 2 overcards anymore, you raised preflop so they are scared of you holding one and it is less likely that they have one because they didnt raise PF) or take the free card. The decision would be based on your feeling how likely it is that one of them is going to CR you and how likely it would be to take the pot down there.

To sum it up, I think the pros of a flopbet outweigh the cons even if UTG CRed you in some hands before.