View Single Post
Old 09-21-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Re: anyone see this? DN lays down KK preflop..

fairly interesting article.

I'm not exactly kicking myself over a missed chance to lay-down KK...but I still think about it sometimes.

WSOP main-event (my first trip to Vegas): I had recently won a big hand with flopped set of Q's vs. AA.
Couple orbits later:

I have $18k. UTG has $11.5k.
Blinds 50/100:
Very tight player UTG (hadn't seen him show-down anything) bets $300.
With KK in MP I raise to $1000.
UTG re-raises to $5000.

I'm debating a little bit...but mostly am just stalling.
The UTG guy KNOWS I have him covered. He is also sharp enough to know that I am okay enough to not get too crazy against an UTG raise from a tight-player.

so he bet $5k here....and there's just no freaking way he is doing this without AA.
I don't even see him doing this with QQ to be honest but I guess it's possible.

He then says "do you have those queens again?" (referring to my set of Q's that crippled another guy with AA.

now I'm almost positive that he has AA.
Seriously...I knew it.

but as a brand, spanking new player am I really going to make some sort of ridiculous Hellmuthian play here?

Maybe he only has AK or something....and what the hell...even if I lose I still have $6k in chips left.

So I talked myself into pushing and naturally lose to his AA.

(fwiw - just calling here would likely have yielded the same result on an all under-card board).

Frankly, I just don't think I'm good enough to justify laying down KK pre-flop, heads-up like that.

If I was more experienced and perhaps better able to trust my instincts and reads I maybe could have done it.