View Single Post
Old 09-21-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Going all-in early in a big tourney

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This seems like backwards, results-oriented thinking. If anything, you need to push a hand like this MORE in a large tournament, because you have so far to go to reach the big money, and you only get so many big hands to do so with. Unless your goal is to hang out as long as possible because being in a large buy-in event is really neat, you've got to get it all in here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it's result-oriented. I want to win money! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Joking aside, I'll try to elaborate on my thinking: First, I'll point out that I am mainly a ring-game player and only entered this tourney because I won an entry in a satellite.

My thinking is that in a ring-game, accumulating more chips is directly accumulating more money. In a tourney, accumulating chips only indirectly accumulates more money.

Take the posted hand for example. Let's say I folded instead of calling. I'd still have about 1400 chips with the blinds at 10/20. That's still a lot of chips in comparison to the blinds. Any info my opponents get on me from my fold will be lost as soon as I get moved to another table.

I think the example hand I posted is misleading: I don't think I would ever fold trips. My general question is the value of going all-in early in a tourney. Let's say you had AJ on the AJ6 flop. Would you call all-in with two pair? Let's say you had AK. Would you call all-in with one pair? Those two questions seem to be much closer questions than calling with trips on the flop, which you'd probably do over 98% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think about what you get to do with over 2 times everyone else's stack if you win here. The EV from that outweighs trying to stall. Your argument makes sense *maybe* when considering an EV neutral call on a flush draw (like say two people who have you covered push and you're drawing for the nut flush with a very small pot b4 their push)