View Single Post
Old 09-20-2005, 11:05 PM

Default The Perfect Hand Against the Perfect Opponent

I was re-reading CSC's post on table dynamics (thanks to IHateKeithSmart for posting the link) and caught myself in a very bad habit: reading something rather deep and nodding along as though I knew exactly what he was talking about, when in fact I had a very superficial understanding. This paragraph in particular was the one that tripped me up:

[ QUOTE ]

Waiting for the perfect hand against the perfect opponent: There are times in a tourney when I "just know" that if I can get a hand of this strength against this opponent I can make a killing. I'm DYING to get into a pot with them, but I am waiting too. When it comes, and it rarely comes, it usuaully plays out just like I thought it would. Why? becaues I've known how to play this hand against this opponent for the past hour. I've checked called all the way to the river with a big overpair and I've bet out a 3-flush board with bottom two without position safe in the knowledge that I should have the best hand both times AND that I've extracted the maximum in each situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm wondering if he or anyone else could provide a little more analysis here. Perhaps some examples of times when you picked up that perfect hand? Or to take CSC's examples, what would you observe about a player that would make you feel confident betting out bottom two pair on a three-flush board? Or check-calling an overpair all the way? What other 'types' of players do you try to identify, and what would be the perfect hand against each type?

The best instance of this I can point to in my own play is players who will limp, call small raises, and then check-fold any flop that doesn't hit them hard. Against these guys, I'm happy to pick up a wide variety of hands, such as suited connectors, suited broadway cards, or small/medium pairs in position. I'll make a moderate raise, probably 3-4 times the BB, and then continuation bet the flop. It's much more profitable than just taking down the blinds.

I take it this is pretty standard for a lot of people on here, and I think CSC has in mind something a lot more specific. Anyone care to elaborate? I'd be much obliged.