View Single Post
Old 09-20-2005, 10:05 PM

Default Re: Bankroll Requirements

[ QUOTE ]

Is this generally agreed upon by the forum?

I have been sticking to the 300BB for my bankroll as discussed in The Zoo, but I also do not depend on poker for an income and can understand what Andy is saying.

Is anyone else doing something similar? How else do you know when to move up or down?

[/ QUOTE ]

I actully think the 300BB requirement is a bit liberal, and that conservativly you really want 600BB. I've personally had 200BB swings playing 3/6 stud. Having talked with people I who are knowledgeable about this issue, they feel that Malmuth's bankroll forumula's understate the needed bankroll by about 40% at a minimum.

If you have a small bankroll that can be replenished from non poker sources, then you should play at whatever limit you like. Looking to maximise EV, and not worry about going broke, because if you do, you can replace the money.

Above and beyond that, I'll play in any game that I think I have a positive expectation in, be it 1/2 hold'em or 20/40 Stud. I don't like the model of moving up and down, since it wastes time, it takes you a long time to rebuild your bankroll at a lower limit even if you are a winning player. Far better to be adequtely financed for the limit you want to play and then stick with it.