View Single Post
Old 09-20-2005, 09:43 PM

Default Re: Televised poker will never become a major sport

[ QUOTE ]
Watching sports like college football, and of course all the pro sports is a complete waste of time, unless you are somebody who likes to bet on them I guess. How a grown man can sit and watch a bunch of blingged out, arrogant, wanna be multi millionaire wanna be gangstas chase a ball around a field is beyond me....

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound just like the ignorant people who don't understand poker that describe it as a "just a bunch of cheaters bluffing and it's all luck anyway" game. You don't have to like football, but you can't really deny there is a lot of strategy and quick wits necessary to succeed along with the physical talents and hard training. Sure, some of the players are a bad example, but many of them are an excellent example. If you take the time to understand it and all its nuances, there is a *lot* more going on than you'd think at first glance and just listening to the announcers, particularly at the pro level. The opportunity to see strategy, improvisation and athleticism all combined while rooting for you favorites and booing their rivals is what televised competition is all about and football delivers it probably better than anything else right now.

I like televised poker too.