View Single Post
Old 09-16-2003, 03:55 PM

Default I would suggest playing a bit lower.

I am not opposed to using stop limits if it makes you comfortable, but I think 20 big bets is awfully low--you could easily lose that if I played in 4 pots to the river and didn't win anything, plus paying some blinds. In my experience, I'm a lot more likely to suffer a loss like that in a good game as opposed to a not-so-good game. If losing 20 big bets at that limit would make you uncomfortable, I would suggest dropping down in stakes a bit, perhaps to a limit where you could handle a loss of 50 big bets.

I am incredibly conservative with my bankroll requirements for a few reasons (a major reason is because I bet sports too and I often have a lot of my bankroll tied up in bets), but one of the reasons is because I prefer having a large enough bankroll so that a large negative swing won't phase me emotionally. When I played higher limits and on a 300 BB bankroll, I would sometimes go on a -80 BB swing and would get upset because that was a relatively large amount of money. Now I play with a 1000 BB bankroll at a minimum. I'm sure that's excessively conservative because according to my results, I can play on a 380 BB bankroll with only a .3% risk of ruin, but it also allows me to play without any real concern about my short term results.