View Single Post
Old 09-20-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Do Christians (or Jews) Need God to see the Future.

[ QUOTE ]
God's omniscience did not mean he could do literally everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

That does not require a thread to prove, since that is definitionally not omniscience, which means the quality of being all-knowing. cf scientia vs potestas.

[ QUOTE ]
If the only reason a certain religion assumes God can see the future is because it assumes that God is omniscient

[/ QUOTE ]

"Religious scholars" (notably those other than the "religious scholars" on this board) have for a long time defined the concept of God such that it is outside of time. eg Augustine, De Confessione XI. For the short version you can read the second sentence of that chapter. I'll let others elaborate.

Time is a quality that can be applied to discussions of matter and space. God is not considered to be a material thing. On the contrary, matter is considered by theologians to be a contingent property while God is considered non-contingent. Therefore qualities attributable to time or space are not attributed to the idea of God. As understood, God does not anticipate future events because it is not believed he exists in "the present," or in any state in which it is possible to distinguish another time as being "the future." The omniscience attributed to the idea of God is not a quality which is dependent upon a linear concept of time. Your premise is misinformed because it assumes this, and the conclusion incident to it is not sound.

[ QUOTE ]
this little atheist may have done more for religion than Aquinas, Calvin and Spinoza combined

[/ QUOTE ]

You are clearly interested in philosophical subjects but this kind of hubristic remark is offensive in light of the simple mistake it follows. I would recommend more reading about systematic theology before making other comments like this. There are many good books availible online or at your local library. Alternatively you can post anonymously on other forums about religion where these statements don't embarass your publishing company.

I'm glad I was able to do more for humanity than Mother Theresa, Albert Schweizer, Gandhi, Martin Luther King, and James Woods combined by making this post.