View Single Post
Old 09-20-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: The Anguish of Nonbelievers

Let me premise my post by stating that I haven’t read much about atheism and any logic (or lack of) relative to it.

Let me interrupt myself again and say that I would appreciate an answer that does not turn the issue to what believers might or might not believe or think. (This seems to happen often.) I am seriously interested in what atheists think.

Siegfriedandroy’s perspective about atheism is fairly close to my own. His main thesis (paraphrasing) begins with the assumption that atheist do not believe in absolute good/bad. I also cannot see how an atheist could. (Of course, we can have agreed upon good/bad for a number of reasons.) If this is incorrect, (that instead atheists do indeed believe in absolute good/bad) then what is the source of these absolutes? What are the absolutes? Does the atheist have a formal logical proof (or even scientific theories) for these absolutes? (The only answer I have found that comes close is David S.'s apologetic for lap dances.)

Siegfried Androy makes the point regarding atheism that there is no rational reason to care (or not to care)about..pick a topic. Is this a true statement? It seems to me it is. If it is true then that pretty well answers my basic interest.

Now, simply out of curiosity, if true (no reason to care or not to care) then why are so many scientist, to pick a group, interested and “worried” about, for example, Green (ozone and such) issues. What is the major motivation for such interest in the longevity of the human race? Seems like so much energy is spent on such things that could perhaps be spent on more immediate concerns.

Again, please, no deflecting the answer with the irrationality of believers and any nonsense that might motivate them.