View Single Post
Old 09-20-2005, 01:05 PM

Default Re: American national anthem at WSOP main event???

[ QUOTE ]
To a European watching American patriotism is like watching your parents kiss. I'm sure many are physically sick.

Just because an event is at X, doesn't mean the X national anthem should be played. Honestly it would be like Greece playing their national anthem before every event at the olympics. I can assure you they did not. It is crass, it is unnecessary, it's the American way.

[/ QUOTE ]

So by your example, does this mean that we should stop singing the National Anthem at Baseball games, because some French, or Indonesian, or Japanese people attending the game might be offended?

If I am in another country and I am at an event and they play their National Anthem, not only will I NOT be offended, I will respect them, their country and their Anthem.

I have had the good fortune in the past to travel to other countries, including Japan, and China and I have tried very hard when in their countries to change some of my ways to conform to their country out of a sense of respect.

I don't see any problem whatsoever with our country playing our National Anthem in our country.

I will add that I am a Naturalized Citizen on the US and was not born here but am very proud to call myself an American.