View Single Post
Old 09-20-2005, 09:08 AM

Default Re: Starting hands in No Limit compared to Limit

[ QUOTE ]
I don't play NL and don't even think about playing it before I learn to play limit but I have wondered, how much is a deep stack? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

What constitutes a deep stack is open to debate. I guess you could think about it as follows:

If you have the sort of stack that is likely to be all-in on the flop or before the flop (without a massive overbet) then you are short-stacked. E.g. If the blinds are $1 and $2 and you have $30 in your stack then you are a short stack. If you raise pre-flop then you will be all-in on the flop if you decide to continue with the hand. In fact, you sometimes might choose to raise all-in pre-flop with this size of stack (depending on game texture/action) - and if you re-raise someone else pre-flop it will almost always be all-in.

If you and your opponent are likely to still have chips to bet on the turn/river then you are medium stacked. E.g. with blinds of $1 and $2, $200 would be a medium stack. You could raise pre-flop, make 'normal size bets' on the flop and turn, and may still have a few chips left to bet on the river.

A big or deep stack is when you have much more than this. In other words, there may be chips left for a bet, raise and re-raise on the river. In many peoples' eyes, over $200 would class as a big stack in a game with $1 and $2 blinds. However, real deep stack play requires a stack much bigger than this.

Of course, you can always scoot all your chips to the centre at any stage, regardless of stack size. I play a great deal of pot limit rather than no limit. The idea of a bet, raise and re-raise on the river is perhaps more apt for pot limit since at NL one player may have massively overbet the pot and moved all in prior to this.