View Single Post
Old 09-20-2005, 09:00 AM

Default Re: New to smoking, a few q\'s

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't anyone casually or socially smoke? I don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I have, and still do.

I typed up a bunch of stuff in defense of casual smoking, but I know I'd still have gotten jumped on for it, so let's just say that I think it's definitely possible to casually smoke for a few years and then quit if you're strong-willed enough to follow through on your self-imposed limits.

No, I'm not saying that quitting smoking is a matter of mind over matter, I'm saying that limiting yourself to a very low intake (say, 3-5 cigarettes on weekends) probably is, for most people, a matter of will. I'm sure quitting is pretty hard once you've been smoking a lot for even just a few months, and just being strong-willed won't be enough for most people in that situation. But as someone who's casually smoked periodically over the last two years, I've never found it hard to skip a few weeks or months after having smoked a half a pack a weekend for a month or two. I smoke sometimes because I find it enjoyable in the company of some of my friends, or with a beer and a burger, or whatever. If you find that pleasurable and are strong-willed enough to limit it to JUST THAT and to quit even that after a few years, I don't see the problem.