View Single Post
Old 09-20-2005, 08:47 AM

Default Re: Bankroll Requirements

A lot of it depends on why you play poker and everyone's reasons are different. It sounds like you play for the challenge and love of the game, but you play to win. You don't want to lose b/c then what's the point of playing, but you're not playing for money that's very significant to you. In my case, though I have a good job, I make most of my income playing and take it very seriously. I have fun b/c I absolutely love the game, but I don't play for fun. It is deadly serious to me. That said, I also have lots of gamble (I used to be a pretty big degenerate in the pit back in the day). While I have that part under control now, the little bit that's left allowed me to take shots where other people wouldn't. I remember when I had just graduated in college and had about 3k in the bank and played 20-40 with 1000 at a time. If I lost, I would just play 10-20 with 500 the next time. I also had a job. I kept doing this and built a nice roll, then got more conservative with it. But as it grew bigger, I took shots at bigger games, only for 20 bets or so at a time. Now I have a good roll for the limits I'm playing. But people I know have tried to talk me into playing even higher (c'mon, we'll go halves in that 300-600, etc.). But I'm not doing it. I worked WAY TOO HARD and have been through WAY TOO MUCH to risk the comfortable lifestyle I have now. So I don't see myself moving up any time soon, if ever. And if I get drilled at a high limit game, I may play lower next time even if I didn't put my roll in jeopardy. It's my security blanket and my way of maintaining sanity. It's taken awhile, but I think I've finally grown up.

Jeff