View Single Post
Old 09-19-2005, 10:18 PM

Default Re: The Anguish of Nonbelievers

[ QUOTE ]
I am now quite sure that intelligent believers have a syndrome similar to stroke victims who think they are not paralyzed. However I also believe that people who are highly intelligent or highly trained in logic and statistical inference, are often able to overcome this syndrome.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've never heard this argument, so I'll need to look into this. If anyone can enlighten me, I'd appreciate it.

[ QUOTE ]
Guess what. No unintelligent person should be a serious non believer! If he is, it is for the wrong reasons. Because God wouldn't allow tsunamis or because God wouldn't hate gays, etc. etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. I'm not sure at what level of intelligence I'd consider someone to be a serious nonbeliever, but I'd say it's higher than many smart people suspect or fall under themselves.

[ QUOTE ]
It is not at all clear to me that the world would be a better place if people didn't believe in a personal God.

[/ QUOTE ]
How about their waste of time? That doesn't irk you?

[ QUOTE ]
It would only be a better place if very smart people didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess their time is more valuable, since they are capable of making substantial improvements to life if their misapplied energy was refocused?