View Single Post
Old 09-19-2005, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Bankroll Requirements

Bankroll requirements are predicated on two factors: one that you plan on playing a particular limit for life and two, that the bankroll can't be replaced. The only way (imo) to build a bankroll is to occasionally take shots at bigger games with money you can afford to lose. That's how I got to where I am...if I stuck with the 300 bet rule, I wouldn't have most likely. Say you have a 5000 roll and play 10-20. You should occasionally take a $1000 shot at 20-40 if the game looks good, you feel good and you've been running good. And if you win at it, play till you have a $1000 loss at it. Wash, rinse, repeat. It is my opinion (and Mason's actually) that you can do with about half as much money as traditionally recommended if you're willing to move down if you lose half your roll. $4,000 is a little light for 10-20, but if you're willing to move down if you hit 2000 (to 5-10), I think it's fine. This is particularly true if you have a job. JMHO, but if you are a proficient player, I recommend taking shots and trying to build a real roll. Ironically, if you do build a huge bankroll, you now have ot be much more protective of it. Small bankrolls (say a few grand if you have a good job) can be pretty easily replaceable. Once you get up there (say respectable five figures), you must be much more careful and disciplined with it b/c it would be very tough to replace if you lost the whole thing.

Jeff