View Single Post
Old 09-19-2005, 06:43 PM

Default Bankroll Requirements

In the Posting Guidelines and FAQ, Andy has written the following:
[ QUOTE ]
Q. How big of a bankroll do I need to play a particular limit?
A. The 300 big bet guideline so often quoted for hold'em is applicable for stud. This assumes that you are playing for a living (or at least that you are somewhat dependent upon poker for income) and that going broke is therefore unaccpetable. If you are playing for a living, you might want to have a bit more than this. If you have a day job, and most of us do, these considerations are not nearly as important. If you're playing $.50/1.00 and lose your on-line bankroll, is it really going to be that hard to come up with another $25 or $50 to get back in action? If the thought of being out of action for a week or two until your next paycheck comes is too much for you to bear, you might seek out Gamblers Anonymous. I also think that some players unnecessarily hold themselves back by imposing unnecessarily stringent bankroll requirements on themselves. Personally, when I first moved up to $6/12 and $8/16, it was because I had a good job and a working wife, so it really wasn't that big a deal to peel off $300-400 if the need arose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this generally agreed upon by the forum?

I have been sticking to the 300BB for my bankroll as discussed in The Zoo, but I also do not depend on poker for an income and can understand what Andy is saying.

First, I have been using the 300BB to determine what level I should be playing. Once I reach 300BB of the next level, I move up. In the event I hit a bad run (or playing beyond my capacity) and I drop to 300BB of the level below me, I'll drop back down. This should keep me from losing my entire bankroll and allow me to determine the level of my ability.

The second reason for this concept is so you play the game the way you know how and not constantly worried about going broke. Running scared makes for bad poker. If you're playing mid or higher limits with a small bankroll, your mind may be worried about busting when you should be playing an aggressive style of poker.

Is anyone else doing something similar? How else do you know when to move up or down?