View Single Post
Old 09-19-2005, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Interesting books about self improvement and such?

[ QUOTE ]
There is an entire Industry built around Self Improvement...

Try books by...
Dale Carnegie (How to win friends and influence people & How to stop worrying and start living)
Dennis Waitley (The Psychology of Winning)
David Allen (Getting Things Done)
Anthony Robbins (Unlimited Power)
Andrew Weil (8 weeks to optimum health)
Norman Vincent Peale (The Power of Positive Thinking)
Napoleon Hill (Think and Grow Rich)
Robert Kiyosaki (Rich Dad, Poor dad)
Steven Covey (The 7 habits of highly effective people)
Brian Tracy (Goals!)

All of these authors obviously have other books I haven't listed, and there are many more, but these should keep you busy for a while [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I will echo support for Covey's "7 Habits of Highly Successful People" and the Weil book - I haven't read his stuff, but I hear it is pretty good.

I have read Unlimited Power and it was pretty good - lots of good ideas, but it all seems to get too convoluted as you go.

That is why I really like "7 Habits" - it is an excellent guide to re-ordering your priorities and making sure that you accomplish what you set out to do.

I have read several other self-help books, but I found that most of them regurgitate very similar ideas - most of which are derived from Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy - which is about questioning your assumptions and changing your frame of reference in regards to your life. Even 7 Habits follows this approach, but it is presented very elegantly.

I would suggest that its often better to read books about ideas, rather than specific strategies to change your life.

I would recommend

Frankl - Man's Search for Meaning
Hesse - Siddhartha
Malcolm Gladwell - Blink

I also recently read the book "In Praise of Slowness" by Cark Honore - which has a lot of interesting things to say about the dangers of speed in our society.

I know I have read some other interesting stuff recently, but they haven't stuck with me.