View Single Post
Old 09-16-2005, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Online Poker : 75% of loosers

[ QUOTE ]
I read on a financial review that 75% of all online poker players were loosing money over time. Any comments ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the higher estimates. I would guess probably 80% or so are losing players, another 10-15% are about break even, a few percent are winning at a decent rate, and a small percentage or fraction of a percent are winning at a very high rate.

While not positive, I would suspect the results of the top 10% could easily be within the bounds of statistical fluctuation, and not indicative of say, the 98th precentile players being significantly better than say, the 93rd or 94th percentile players. Just an opinion.

IMHO, it is impossible to be ahead in the long term without winning tournaments on a relatively regular basis (e.g., somewhere between 1-4% of total tournaments entered).

I think most players have a hard time getting a Final Table percentage this high, much less bagging the event.

Or put another way, if you buddy tells you he is ahead after 500 tournaments, but at the same time tells you he has yet to win, he has either been very unlucky at a lot of Final Tables, or he is lying his a*s off.