View Single Post
Old 09-16-2005, 05:33 AM

Default Re: merits and faults of the blocking bet

FslexcDuck, I like your reasoning a lot, there definately are a lot of situations in which you don't know exactly where you stand, and where a bet can define the hand of your opponent substantially. I also like the use of this bet as a play to extract more money from the right oppponents.

What I especially enjoy about your post is the point that you make about 'talking yourself into a call, despite of your read'. Once your blockbet gets raised, I agree other factors should not prevail over your initial read/plan (don't talk yourself into a call). I think this is a major leak in the game of many people, not just regarding the block bet. I know it is one in mine.

However in line with the original poster there is something to be said for the fact that the blocking bet basically turns your hand to a bluff.

And combined with the problem posted by antother poster -namely that a good player will take advantage of this fact- it does hold some merit that the blocking bet should be used more selectively than other plays like it.