View Single Post
Old 09-15-2005, 10:45 AM

Default How do you play a flush draw correctly.

Ok. i've read lots but don't recall ever getting a full answer to this question.

Ok so say this is the situation. A 5/10 limit game.

U have Ah,3h. Flop comes 4h, 9h 8c.

So its checked around to you. You think 1) Ok imma bet and build this pot up a bit and hope I hit my heart on the turn.

Turn comes Qs.

I get the building the pot, I think it is CORRECT strategy to bet out after the flop with a 4 flush.

BUT say there is only 2 or 3 ppl left in the pot with u after the turn.

Most books ive read say “ Usually someone on a flush draw will bet post flop and check after the turn if their flush doesn’t make. It always says this is how ppl play it. I don’t recall reading that this is the correct strategy or not.

Is it better to check if u miss it on the turn OR possibly …..

Bet out again if its checked to you. This may make a few things happen. People with top pair weak kicker can lay their hands down with the best hand, people with 2nd pair good kicker will lay it down (Meaning if u hit ur ace on the river u MAY win it when otherwise u wouldnt have) and also this bet may make someone with a straight draw lay their hand down giving u a chance to win this pot right here BUT if they don’t u still have a pretty good chance of making the best hand on the river (giving u up to 12 outs (9 hearts and 3 aces) and for ppl who call they could just be chasing and if they don’t hit and u don’t hit u bet out and since u have shown strength the whole way they fold (so many ppl do this…chase to the river and fold when they don’t make)

Is this an acceptable strategy or is this a big losing situation. Depending on my openents and how well ive been running I will go back and forth between these.

Thoughts/Comments/Criticism accepted below 