Thread: Saving Bets
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2005, 10:00 PM

Default Re: Saving Bets

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can understand the case for pushing here with backdoor flush and/or chopped straight draws to go along with top set. My thinking on this particular hand, was that I was up against a made straight with no flush or chop redraws and a hole Q that had just eaten up one of my boat outs and that living to fight another day was the better option.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a math problem, and almost always in a 3 way confrontation you will have the equity to proceed.

Plus it gives you the metagame image of looking like a gambler, or someone who's incapable of folding a set when you're OBVIOUSLY behind.

[ QUOTE ]
In these situations, I also feel that I have to factor in the relative strength of my opponent. Against a better player, taking a bit more risk in a situation like this makes sense, as it is generally much more difficult to extract chips/dollars. Against a poor player, waiting for a slightly better odds (i.e. 40% vs. 30%) just makes more sense to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a cash game hand right? If you're properly bankrolled you should take every edge possible. There's no reason to pass on a .05% edge here because there's a 30% edge later if you can just reload in between.

Its occasionally correct to take mild -ev gambles in capped buyin games in order to get your stack in shape to battle with the big stacks who are playing loose/bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly. It's not a tourney.