View Single Post
Old 09-14-2005, 03:15 PM

Default $1500 NL hand from the Borgata Open

This hand created a lot of discussion at the table and amongst my buddies.

We started w/ 5k and after two levels (25-50, 50-100) I was up to 6550.

Blinds are 75/150. It seems I have an aggressive image but I'm trying to control it so I don't get reraised in poor spots. Here's a setup hand:

W/ about 5500 I make it 400 second to act. I have 77. Folds to the BB who is new to the table. He makes it 1400 to go. I thought he was pretty weak w/ the way he was staring me down and I was prepared to make a play if the flop was non-threatening. I call, leaving myself w/ about 4k.

Flop is QQT w/ a flush draw. I check behind. Turn bricked, same action. River also bricked and I checked behind. HHWG w/ 88. I should have known to bet the turn b/c he's prob not checking a strong hand twice there and seemed content to check it all the way down, but for some reason I sped through the hand and didn't realize that.

So here's the hand that I'm interested in getting thoughts on.

I have JT[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the 150 BB and about 3800 after posting. Older guy is third to act and he minraises to 300. He has a good stack and has been playing pretty well. He gets two coldcallers, the second of which also has a good stack and is also playing well. The SB folds and I call the 150 more.

Flop is 975 rainbow w/ one[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I check, the PFR throws in a single 500 chip, the first coldcaller folds and the kid w/ the big stack calls. I tank for about 90 seconds and move in for 3350 more. The reasons I did this are here:

The PFR seemed very weak, physically that is, and also he bet 500 into a pot of over 1200. So I then focused on the caller, who had been active and was a smart player. I thought he would raise here w/ a strong hand. Also, I can pick up over 2200 in dead money here if they fold, and increase my stack by more than 50%.

So, what does everyone think? thanks in advance.