View Single Post
Old 09-14-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Re: I just tilted away half my bankroll in 5 minutes, laugh at me

I disagree with some of the others that you mght have a gambling problem. I think that most players (even winning players) melt down from time to time and lose much much more than they should. After all, this was miney from a bankroll, not a 2nd mortgage... and there's a big difference between these.

Ok, I went through the almost exact same thing for years. Here's what I did:

On paper I described each problem I had concerning discipline. Then I posted each one here as they came up for me. Looks like you are on that road already...

Next, I defined my poker goals. Again, I wrote down how much I wanted to win, and what stakes I wanted to be playing at in 3 months, 6 months, and 1 year. I reread this document every week.

Then I devised ways to figure out when I was tilting, and preplanned ways to stop playing. I decided that if I was getting upset, that I needed to stop immediately, even if I was down. Then I had to stop playing for no less than a few days. In that time, I had to write down the problems with my game and my attitude.

Finally, I've made a deal with myself that if I'm going to play poker, I have to read about it every single day. I never ever take a day off unless I really need it or I can't for some reason. Even 5 minutes on 2+2 counts.

I think that the point is that no matter what you decide to do, WRITE IT DOWN. Keep it in a place that you can find it very easily. Reread it often.

They say that only ~8% of online players are winners. My guess is that something like 35% of all players could be winning players if they didn't have bad emotional control.

gl2u

Marlow