View Single Post
Old 09-14-2005, 02:18 PM

Default Re: 30 Omaha/8 Starting Hands

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a N00B to the game as well, still trying to figure out some really simple things. Something that keeps eluding me is when to bet the nut low only hand, as often I just check and hope not to put my money in getting 1/4.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fortunately, in some of these games you'll have so many players in the hand that you can safely put your money in figuring to be quartered and still make money. Okay - slight exaggeration, but sometimes it seems like it works that way.

Honestly, I rarely raise or bet the nut low with four or fewer players in.

[ QUOTE ]

Did you start playing the 5/10? It seems like a high limit to learn the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've actually been playing O/8 for 3 years or so, and I learned the basics in a live 8/16 half kill (later 10/20 half kill) game. There were a couple of very good players there who were willing to talk strategy a bit. I'm bankrolled for the limit and feel pretty comfortable at it. Maybe this is why I fixate on scooping so much. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

The waiting in the game can be slow and painful and anyone dying to get into a pot won't find the cards they need to justify it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding. I once played in a game at Trump in Indiana. The dealers were so flustered that we only go in about 15 hands in the first hour. Yeah, that was painful. This slowness actually helps, I think. Impatience will hurt you in hold'em, but it will kill you in Omaha/8, in my opinion.

[ QUOTE ]

There's a thread about rasing preflop or prefloop (did anyone see this on last night's WSOP) in O8. It has a lot of good material and some posts by Buzz that are great. It also has some posts by Ribbo where he proves he is a troll and the reason why live O8 is full of cranky old men. Basically, there isn't a consenus about when to raise prefloop as everyone seems to have their own opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw that thread. I try to read everything of Buzz's over there. To anyone who has not read his stuff, go read it before playing any Omaha/8. I will raise preflop (even if that 30 hands doesn't indicate it) but it's pretty rare if the game is a passive fest - as they often are.

[ QUOTE ]

As usual my posts turned out to be too long, sorry. I'd enjoy discussing the game more about just general play and feel of the game if you're interested.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure thing. Probably I should just get off my ass and go particpate in the Omaha/8 forum.

Thanks for the comments,

T