View Single Post
Old 09-14-2005, 11:27 AM

Default Re: 3betting with 77

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop.

Raise flop, or raise turn, and fold to 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi ebranig,

Once you make it to the turn, I think raising the turn (in what I'd assume is a free showdown play) is probably a mistake.

1) Raising costs 2 big bets when it's not entirely sure you are showdown committed in the first place.

2) Having to fold to a 3-bet takes away your chances of spiking a 7 on the river. Yes, it is rare, but it does happen enough times where it would/should make an impact in the "long run".

The main reason to raise turns in these types of hands are for free showdowns. The correct usage is when you have a marginal holding that you would call a river bet with anyways, but are positive enough that being three bet means you are beaten and can fold.

However, there are many cases where this free showdown play is NOT correct, mainly because you are not sure that you would call a river bet if faced with when. This is a completely different scenerio because it can save you up to a full big bet.

In some situations it would be correct to call the turn and fold the river. Yes, that sounds somewhat strange, but against certain players you can almost always fold this river. Even if you couldn't, you could still call down, which isn't significantly worse (if at all) then the free showdown play.

Also keep in mind that you may still get a free showdown without even having to raise the turn since many players become weak on the river and check a lot of hands they should be betting (which is part of the reason why some rivers can be folded even after calling a turn bet.)

As for this particular hand, with my experience in the Party 2/4 games, I would call/call/fold as a default postflop line on this board.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Kailia