View Single Post
Old 09-13-2005, 10:11 PM

Default Re: A review of your pre-review

[ QUOTE ]
In other words, I don't give authors any leeway for framing their advice in an "I would do this, but others might not" context. To me, it's the same as if they gave the advice directly.

[/ QUOTE ]

And as a top flight author with a love for the correct,we would expect no less of you.

I was just pointing out that the author, a Dennis Purdy, does not in actually say what the poster stated...and in fact there are many instances where he flat out says 'you should raise' with this or that when you clearly should (and other perfectly sound advice)... so, having seen that in the book, I will give him the benefit of the doubt of just mixing good advice with the occassional dubious personal preferences. Too me this makes for a generally poor book for the novice...good for me in that it was free and I have become good enough to actually spot bad advice.

I might add, as a pretty decent low limit player who has 'good material' (2+2 books, this site)to guide him, I have to flat out admit that the more books I see advocating weak-tight and other outright bad play makes me happy...and I hope to continue seeing more of them! In a way, I and my pocketbook kind of wish at this point that people such as yourself would 'bite their tongue' (not too hard) just a bit more if you know what I mean. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I guess, however, that I will have to be content knowing that there are still so many players out there who have yet to discover these forums and that there are still plenty of 'bad' books flooding the shelves of my local Borders!

---Leavenfish