View Single Post
Old 09-13-2005, 08:44 PM

Default Re: A review of your pre-review

[ QUOTE ]
In fairness as well, the author presents arguments for and against raising with AA on the same page. Granted, he "prefers" to call play for bigger pots and to trap opponents. This is outright silly...but then he does say that is simply his preference. So, I don't think your comment is fair...however in error the writer may be.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know anything about the book in question. But I think this is an out poker authors often try to leave themselves. "I didn't say do this, I just said that I prefer to do it."

I call bull****. If you are writing a poker strategy book, presumably you are trying to teach people how to play well. They will presume that you know more than they do, and that they should listen to you. If you say "I do it this way," then you might as well be saying "You should do it this way." If you aren't, why is it in the book in the first place? This isn't a personal journal, this is a teaching manual.

In other words, I don't give authors any leeway for framing their advice in an "I would do this, but others might not" context. To me, it's the same as if they gave the advice directly.