View Single Post
Old 09-13-2005, 07:12 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: theory q.

[ QUOTE ]
But people do make this move with less than AA and KK. You guys have to get past this line of thinking that goes, "this is a weird play I would only make with hand X, therefore he most likely has hand X." Other people are not you. Heck, apparently I should start making this play with 72o, as all the good players seem to "know" that it means AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that you don't have a ton of chips relative to the blinds. You NEED to hit a flop, since it's quite likely your hand is behind (easily 90% you're behind your opponent in these spots)

And like I said, even when you hit a hand (such as top pair) you can't know with any certainty whether it's good. You could be up against an overpair, and you're still way behind.

You wind up committing too many of your chips and creating a pot that's too tempting to get away from.

I don't know how many players started that event, or how many get paid or what the payouts are. There are 180 left, and if there was a much larger field to begin with, I'm likely to give my opponents a bit more credit once they start getting whittled down.

That's not to say that donks can't or don't make final tables, so there's still chances of donks at your table.

I figure I can save 3K each time in those spots and wait for a better opportunity, or I can gambool it up, when it's highly unlikely my hand will beat my opponents holding in that spot.

Early in a tournament, where there are more donks out and deeper stacks, I don't mind calling and taking a shot at outflopping your opponent.

But it's similar to playing trap hands like K/J, Q/J, K/Q. If you hit your hand, will it be any good or are you dominated?