View Single Post
Old 09-13-2005, 06:51 PM

Default Re: PLO8 - Did I do something wrong or was I just doomed?

It's amazing to me that everyone seems to be missing the point about how to play this hand. Yes, the AA aspect of the hand plays well with few players, but the double-suited + A2 plays very well multi-way. PLO8 is about big pots and, unless you feel inferior the other players at the table, you should be wanting to build those big pots after the flop, not preflop when it is largely a tossup.

I'd limp preflop. This will succesfully disguise your hand and then you can decide whether you want to put your hard-earned money at risk after 7/9's of your hand is known. If you are the better player, you will make the better decision at this point. There will be many cases where you'll be shoving money in with a 90-10 advantage. If the flop misses you, you'll be able to get away cheap. Notice how your preflop raise induced you to put your whole stack in the middle, when only a very small percentage of it when in before the flop.

In general, if you are asking the question "did i do something wrong or was I doomed", it's almost always the former.