Thread: Small PP?
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2005, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Small PP?

[ QUOTE ]
From time to time with several limpers in front, I stick in a raise with even small PP preflop hoping to buy the button and see the turn cheap if I don't make a set on the flop. This will also add deception if you hit your set on a middle to low flop and you might get payed off handsomely by 2 pair figuring you for overplaying an overpair. I don't have a rule, but I want a pretty passive table if I am going to do this. I don't want to be 3 bet preflop or even bet at very often when I miss my set on the flop. Maybe I should do an EV calculation to see if this is better or worse than flat calling preflop and folding when you miss the set, but like I said, I don't do it every time, just to mix things up.

I will also say that there is no feeling like checking behind 6 people on the flop (with at least one looking to check raise with his 2 pair), hitting a set on the turn which must look like a total blank, and then getting to trap the whole field for 2 or 3 big bets after the attempted flop check/raiser bets out on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

With 3-4 limpers and loose blinds this play is useful for creating a big pot no one can bring themselves to fold out of. Very nice if you hit your set. As recommended in HEPFAP this play is probably only worth it if the players are likely to pay off *because* the pot is larger. If most of them would have paid off anyway (or will fold anyway) then the play loses much of its value. If you can actually get a free turn card out of it that's impressive with that number of players in. Probably not going to happen frequently enough to make it very valuable on its own though.