View Single Post
Old 09-13-2005, 05:50 PM

Default Re: How do you feel about people outright asking you for money?

You are learning a valuable lesson. Don't ever discuss your financial situation outside of your immediate family (and even that can get you in trouble).

Obviously you are young and so are your friends and you are still learning about the true concept of money and what it takes to live on your own (if I am mistaken, no offense intended).

I never mention money (poker or otherwise) with any of my friends. Frankly, it is none of their business and they should have the good manners not to ask. If it ever comes up, I say something vague like "I'm doing okay" or "some days are better than others." I never say, "I just won $500 off some idiot who called my quads all-in!"

Frankly, I would question how much of friend someone really is if they expect you to share the wealth with them. You are certainly under no obligation to do so unless you believe everyone should live a communal existence and share all possessions with their neighbors. In that case, you should immediately move to the nearest communist country (hurry, there are few left), but beware, because I think that gambling and surfing the 'net may be capital offenses there.

As to helping those in need, whether financial or otherwise, I believe you should always do this when you are able because it is +EV in life. Being generous is much different than being sponged off of (if that is the correct way of saying it).