View Single Post
Old 09-13-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Ways of getting around an Office internet Proxy

Meh. Lots of IT people are arrogant. To me, it's like some kind of postmodern priesthood... I know [censored] that you don't because I know how TCP/IP works. BFD. Mostly IMO this comes from poor dicks who can't get laid who will grab onto any shred of coolness they can think of.

I'm about to snooze for a bit to get ready for tonight's shift in the tank, but I'll mention the last deal like this that I was involved in.

We got an email from the head of the Network Security dept. that originated from Symantec. "We have determined that IP address so and so is running Kazza." So the guy forwards it to us, "Find out what the hell this address is." Our thought was: You're head of network security, it took you longer to forward this email than it would to track down this address, but whatever. We start a trouble ticket. We isolate the address, it's one of our servers. Uh oh. I forward the ticket to the server guys, "Hey, FYI, here's what we found out." Ticket comes back with a testy note about "Yeah, so what?" We forward that all on to the security guy and never heard any more about it.