View Single Post
Old 09-13-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Re: At Party: January 2005 sign-ups, less than 30% still play there(+

Nice post zetack.

I think we can also look around here at 2+2 at the posters from 6-12 months ago and we can see a bit of turnover...and this would be amongst a group of players that have a higher percentage of conssitent winners obviously.

For some people I think that poker just isn't as interesting after awhile and that's about all there is to it.
For many gamblers...whether you are winning or not doesn't even play as much of a factor as one might initially think.

The fact is...there were almost 6k players at the WSOP main-event this year.
There will likely be about the same number of players next year I'm guessing.

Poker on TV is still pretty popular.

And I'm confident that I can get smarter than the typical mediocre weak-tightish player who has read a book or two (assuming I'm not a better player than them already).

I'm not worried too much about the state of the games.

However - here's another take on this situation (playing my own devil's advocate).
I'm fascinated that the numbers aren't going up faster the past few months in the current TV advertising situation.
You may recall that just a year or so ago we didn't have hardly ANY poker ads on TV because of fear from the DOJ.
And if we did then we certainly didn't have them on the major networks.

Now...even NBC and ESPN air these dot-net ads.
The party and stars TV ads are all over the freaking place.

With such a boom in TV advertising I would have expected significantly more players to go along with it.

But, the question is, are these dot-net commercials that are enticing players to their play-money site also more likely to attract borderline-curious players who are slightly more likely to get bored with the game a bit more quickly.

Lets face it....if you are currently 'of age' and would have any interest at all in real-money internet-poker you are probably playing already.
You aren't going to attract TOO many more Americans to go full-throttle on real-money internet games.

The new players will now be coming primarily from America's youth....and Europe (and perhaps Asia in the future).