View Single Post
Old 09-13-2005, 01:32 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: theory q.

[ QUOTE ]
For those saying; fold to a min-raise....Would it be reasonable to say that unless you are willing to call a min-raise you should not be raising?

But given the situation is it worth raising to 4500 given the stack size only to fold a min-raise? Or do the steals work often enough in these situations that in the long run (if there is such a thing) it makes the steal a worthwhile gamble?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a 2.5x the BB raise is more appropriate, when blinds get this high relative to the stacks, usually this is enough to take the blinds.

When you get played back against in this spot, you are usually behind. Given villians play, I'm going to put him on a hand like Q/Q, K/K or A/A that is looking for action (that wasn't the case THIS time, but I think most of the time such a play will mean that type of hand)

So with a hand like 10/8 suited you're going to need a miracle flop in this spot to win the hand. If your opponent is on an overpair, then you are a 20% to 80% dog in the hand, and only getting 3-1 on your call. So you really aren't getting the right odds in this spot, if Villian is on that hand.

In this particular case, you were actually 40% to 60% in the hand, so you are getting a great price on your call. But in most cases, again, I put them on a strong pocket pair, so even if I hit one of my cards, I'm still behind and in trouble.