View Single Post
Old 09-13-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Re: At Party: January 2005 sign-ups, less than 30% still play there(+

[ QUOTE ]

I think that Party will come up with a strategy to crowd out/ isolate the multitablers. We've seen the first step: the beginners tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were Party, this would probably be a good step for the long-term. You will be losing some of the astounding rake that the mega-multi-tablers help generate, but you can create an atmosphere more beneficial to the casual gambler -- which is a key growth segment.

One idea would be creating "no-multitable" tables, like there are no-disconnect-protect tables. On these tables, the player would be assured everyone at the table is only playing that one. Ostensibly this can be advertised as "helps the game move faster," but the sub-marketing can emphasize the scuttlebut that "system players" won't be playing there.

Multitabling -- on smaller sites especially -- dramatically effects the games. Casual players are likely to play 1 or 2 tables.

Example: I played for a while at a mid-sized site which only allowed single-tabling. A few months in, they updated their software to allow multitabling. A "typical table" dropped over 10% in "saw flop %" immediately.

Disclaimer: I multitable.