View Single Post
Old 09-13-2005, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Question for conservatives re: role of women

[ QUOTE ]
There is a temptation to think government can change culture. A cultural revolution if you will. Such efforts historically have some pretty bad side effects.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's safe to say that government CAN change culture, as communism's rise and fall have proven in my part of the world. Government changed then the culture changed, in that order, both in the years following WW2 and in the years following the fall of communism.

The more important issue, though, (and on this one I agree with you) is that the results will almost certainly be different from the original intention, sometimes radically so.

Maybe it's better to examine the question from a cultural point of view, but posed as a political question it highlights the huge ramifications the issue has on all the macro aspects of life.

[ QUOTE ]
It is unfortunate that most of the smart women won't want to do this, and I really wanted to marry a smart women. But there seems little way around it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. One way is to hook up with an Eastern European woman but that requires a lot of effort and risk, especially considering the best ones don't speak English too well.