View Single Post
Old 09-13-2005, 03:22 AM

Default Re: User Taxes

[ QUOTE ]
If I have a big car I won't use the roads more than the guy with the small car, but I'll still pay more taxes for it?

[/ QUOTE ]
A big car damages the roads more. Tractor trailers get 3MPG, and damage the road a lot. Motorcycles get 50MPG and damages the road little. It works out.

I'm not necessarily saying it should be run by the government. We have information highways that have been built with private funds and some oversight. The Internet and peering agreements would be a good model to use in highways -- in this case all roads are private, but if you want to connect your road to my road -- you have to agree to maintain some standards, etc. -- if you can use my road then I can use your road. The final reality being that a road which is not connected to all other roads is pretty useless, so everyone agrees. This way you can have a lot of private roads (the same as you have in gated communities), but everyone has access. As long as you are paying for the maintenance and upkeep on your street, you can use all roads.