View Single Post
Old 09-13-2005, 02:55 AM

Default Re: Question for Libertarians

[ QUOTE ]
Something I've always wondered but never seen answered. I know that libertarians think highways and major roads should be built with toll money or some other user-pays system. But what about local streets that run in front of all our houses. Would their existence be based on tolls? What if you neighbor doesn't agree to pay a toll. Do you have a little fifty foot stretch of road that goes nowhere?

[/ QUOTE ]

From my POV the Federal Government is within its rights to build an interstate highway system. Mainly under the guise of regulation of interstate commerce. However, I think that most roads should be built and run by the state or by a private company under the employ of a state. Of course I also think that the individual localities should do the same as the states. Now, there is a problem that arises here, one similar to that of the problems the railroads had with gauging. There should be some standard developed on the Federal level with regards to what basic qualities a road should have. Individual states should also adopt similar regulations demanding that the localities follow their state guidlines.