View Single Post
Old 09-12-2005, 10:30 PM

Default Re: How to play AK OOP against differing opponents

[ QUOTE ]
I bet and raise as much as I can on the flop and turn. If the river isn't a J, or T, then I can't see too many hands they have that can beat you. Just bet, a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congratulations on understanding ABC poker.

But all you guys, Jason & Shant and Hobbs, et al, it pays to stray from robotic ABC obviousness. This isn't FPS here. It's getting maximum value. The TAG is going to bet when checked to most of the time, with hands that he'll call the flop with. If he had a strong draw that's worth checking the turn, I'd think he'd raise the flop.

When he bets, a check-raise will do several things: besides the obvious thing that it gives me 4BBs on the turn as opposed to 2, it forces the calling station to make an unprofitable call with several of his potential holdings.

The times I get 5-6BBs on the turn and river as opposed to the times I get 3-4 (plus getting outdrawn by UTG+2) make the checkraise a more profitable play, I think. I think the 2BB gain in this line is enough to offset the rare times MP decides to check through the turn.

I really wish people would think about relative position and specific opponents before just spewing the SS creed of "BET! RAISE! AGGRESSION! ALL THE TIME!"