View Single Post
Old 09-12-2005, 07:13 AM

Default Re: Questions about betting impetus

A few of my thoughts regarding this:

Why do I want to seize impetus? Because you have to for the hand to play the way you want it. Ie, he will check if you check to him or he will push the river unless you throw out a blocking bet and you don't want to call a push.

Why do I want to surrender it? Because you suspect the other guy will fold if you bet but bet if you check. Also it is a good way to disguise the strength of your hand until later streets.

What situations do I need to look for, and what do I need to consider to use impetus as a weapon of my own? I think it has more to do with the type of opponent you are up against than the type of situation you are in. But of course what kind of hand you have and how the board looks will have an impact.

I think the whole point of trying to manipulate betting impetus is that you will vary your game more. It will be much harder for your opponent to interpret your actions if you read your opponents correctly. And hopefully it will make the pots you win larger since you can make your opponent bet/call where they otherwise wouldn't.