View Single Post
Old 09-11-2005, 10:05 PM

Default 3/6 play and leak review - please help

Hey all,

I’ve played just under 11k hands at 3/6. Through the first 5000 hands, I lost over -1BB/100. I spent a week going over PT hands, made some adjustments, and have stopped the bleeding to the point of being essentially breakeven over then next 6000 hands. This is a small sample size, but I think that there are some errors in my play that were not apparent at 2/4 and below.

I’ve outlined a plan for improving my 3/6 game. I am going to drop back down to 2/4 and focus on my identified leaks, and I plan to play until I recoup what I have lost at 3/6.

Please comment on the leaks I have identified and anything else that I should consider. Following is a list of leaks and issues that I have identified and have begun to work on.

I would greatly appreciate it if those of you who have found success at 3/6 could add to my list, especially postflop situations.

Here is my list of leaks:

1) Seat selection. At 2/4 I only considered the number of fish at the table and didn’t pay much heed to my position relative to the fish. I knew that this would be more important at 3-6 but was not disciplined in implementing good seat selection. From now on, I will sit down only if I can get a seat 1 or 2 players to the left of the fish, otherwise I will pass on the table until a better seat opens. If there are 3 or more fish donking the table up, I will be less stringent about this rule.

2) Better use of Pokertracker’s note export feature in making decisions on seat selection, blind stealing, and blind defense

3) Use of the Notes feature to record specific postflop play examples. Up until now I have used it mainly for general play description.

4) Better use of the bet/fold tactic.

5) Isolating a loose limper only when in good position to do so (late position or tight players behind me). Too often I have raised with a marginal-to-decent hand such as KJo to isolate an EP limper, only to be 3-bet or colddonked by another player behind me. This makes postflop play more difficult.

6) Selectively semistealing from MP2 on with hands like A9s or ATo. I have done this too often without considering the types of players yet to act.

7) Tightening up my SB calling standards.

8) Proper attention to opponent’s typical response to a perceived steal raise. I have found several opponents that play back at me preflop, and others that play back on the flop.

9) Proper use of the checkraise to thin the field. Too often I have checkraised on the flop when the pot was large and chasers were correct to call even 2 bets cold.

10) Proper play of whiffed overcards with weak draws.

11) Open limping with weak suited aces only at the proper type of table (loose passive).

Please add to my list. I REALLY want to beat this level.