View Single Post
Old 09-11-2005, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Playing in the WCOOP main event

[ QUOTE ]
In all honesty, maybe you should have thought about all this before you attempted to qualify. You wouldn't find me entering a rally driving competition just because I passed my driving test, so why enter a tournament then admit you're not good enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

I entered using FPP, which I don't really have a use for so figured it'd be a cheap way to take a stab at it.

Nonetheless, I think I have a reasonable shot at the money. I just think the luck factor is simply huge.
In the first satellite I had to finish in the top 17/177. In the super, it was 9/332. How much can be attributed to skill vs. luck? I felt totally charmed when my stack was getting low and the BB was coming around to me. I'd get a great starting hand, raise PF and get usually one caller. Then the board would hit me perfectly. My A3 would bring a board of 257. I don't think my lows ever got counterfeited.

I even scooped a pot with A3JQ vs AA3K (Board: 74JTK). Does that make me a good player? When I got cards worth pushing, I pushed and they held up.

So I'm faced with the decision of taking a sure (smallish) profit vs. rolling the dice at a potentially big score. My gut's telling me to play, cause I think I'd regret passing up this opportunity. But at the same time, there's the option of pocketing a sure thing over what sometimes seems like a coin-flipping contest.