View Single Post
Old 09-11-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Which hands to play and when?

To give a somewhat helpful reply...

I am unwilling to fold QQ+ at any point during any game. Perhaps if 5 people are allin in front of me, i MIGHT fold QQ, but even in that case im getting odds to suck out. Basically there are way too many idiots in these games to ever fold QQ.

I will fold JJ and TT to a good sized reraise where I still have over 10BB and havent committed more than 40% of my stack.

I like reraising limpers hard with AK and AQ from any position including SB. In level 1 at 10/15 if there are 3 limpers to me in SB with AQs, I'll prob make it 90 to go. You will often take down the pot right here, youre going to flop an ace or queen 1/3 of the time (and at that point I'm unwilling to fold to any reraise), and youll take down the pot with a 1/2 pot bet 50%+ of the time making reraisng with AQ a huge +EV move (I see so many people on this board posting limps with it).

I won't play A9 or worse in levels 1,2, and (depending on my stack) 3 because they just waste chips and are hard to play post flop. My exception is KQs. I lvoe to limp with that hand from any pos.

I'm also willing to call some raises with AJs and ATs early when I have position. Flopping an ace is hard to get away from, but you're generally good vs most hands.

Obv, these rules change completely when you get shorter. If I've only got 7.5BB or worse I'm pretty much pushing any ace with 6 people or less.

If you want me to go into shorthanded/shortstacked strategy, I'm more than willing to.

The basic strategies overall are to milk your big hands for as much as possible. With the exception of AA/KK UTG, I'm never going to even consider limping with any of my big hands. Make them pay. These people will pay you off with any top pair, so get as much in there as possible. Sure you'll get sucked out on here and there, but how can you fold JJ on a ten high flop when you only start with 800 or 1000 chips? I also like taking a lot of concentrated risks depending on my chip stack. If I've worked up from 800 to 1100 chips I'm often willing to call a 75 chip raise with 66 if I think I can stack someone if they miss or if I hit....etc.

This is a dumbed down guide, but it should provide some basic principles.

Later.