View Single Post
Old 09-11-2005, 06:43 AM

Default Deepstacks at 1/2 NL

Here's more of a strategy situation maybe some of you can help me with.

I haven't really had a situation like this yet, but I know its coming....

As I've related in earlier posts, most B&M 1/2 players are very weak. Where I play the buy in is $100. Now most of the time, when a player gets up to say $300 or $400, they usually have some clue of what they're doing. Doesn't mean they're the kind of player who would make money online, but they wouldn't be the table donk either. Of course there's often one player at the table who's having his "lucky night" and is up 300 just from suckouts or lucky flops.

My question is this: How do you play deep stack poker against these players, who in many cases are willing to go all in with just an overpair on the flop or in some cases even on the turn or river?

My top two might be good, but then again, I don't really want to play a $800 pot with just that. Of course I believe I have above average hand reading ability, but I'll be the first to admit that it isn't unusual for me to have no real idea what a player has. I may be able to tell that they think its a strong hand, but that often isn't enough.

Let me give a scenario, lets say an early position raiser has $400 (he's a decent player but mostly has been hitting his flops and we don't know whether he overvalues his hands or not) he raises to fifteen and three players in the middle call, and I (who also has $400 in chips) decide to come into the pot with K10 suited. Flop comes K102 rainbow. Early position raiser makes it sixty to go, everyone folds to me. My instinct would be to make it 180 and hope to take it down, but what if he moves all in over the top?

What would your action be in this hand when action gets to you on the flop?