View Single Post
Old 09-11-2005, 12:54 AM

Default Re: Implied Odds Pre-flop

[ QUOTE ]
Does this mean that if I have QTo/KTo on the button and there are a lot of limpers to me that I should be inclined to fold these hands even though the pot is growing large at this point?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, unless you are a LOT better than your opponents postflop; you have to win with one pair sometimes to make these hands profitable, but in some situations (and against some opponents) it will be correct to raise that top pair, and other times correct to fold. Also make sure you know when you have odds to continue with a gutshot, and when you should raise with a straight draw or overcards (or a straight draw WITH overcards) vs. the time you should fold them. Every mistake you make in these situations devalues the hand overall, especially if some of your opponents are tricky and aggressive after the flop.

To the other post that said always fold second pair: once the pot gets to nine bets or so you pretty much have to see the turn unless you're pretty sure you're against a set or better, or the flop shows a flush draw and you have nothing in that suit, or some of your two-pair outs make a straight likely or set up straight redraws. (note that this is a lot of exceptions, which is why you have to really know what you're doing to play these hands well) 5-out draws only need pot odds of 8-to-1 or so to continue, and in this specific situation you will frequently be getting them.