View Single Post
Old 09-07-2003, 07:13 PM

Default Re: 15-30 Hand To Discuss (Long)

A5s is a tricky hand; even if an Ace hits the flop you're in a poor spot. I'd still call two cold preflop, though.

The two straightforward players might have had connectors or a couple high cards, which makes this a moderate flop for them. BB or UTG+1 could be trying something tricky, or maybe they just missed the flop. The flop barely hit you here, but you have no idea how hard it hit these two. I think this is the best time to find out; bet it, and see what happens. You really had no read on these guys as it was.

I think I would have called the turn; I'm somewhere between weak-tight and loose-passive, so take this with a grain of salt. I would have put the SB on a ten plus an ace or connector; ie he's decided to bet out the second-best hand (since the best isn't out there), before the flush draw gets a chance to complete.

I would never have guessed that the SB had missed a check-raise on the flop, which is part of why I'm posting. I think, because of that, if you are going to stay with the A5 then you need to bet on the flop. If everybody is weak and the turn doesn't help, then you get a free card. If someone is slowplaying (only thing to slowplay here is TT or JJ), they might call the flop bet then try to check-raise the expensive bets--giving you a free card again. Top pair or two pair might check-raise the flop, then bet out on the turn. Given the small number of outs, I think you are better off getting a free card and/or some information rather than risking an expensive bet on a pair of fives.

-Cosimo