View Single Post
Old 09-09-2005, 04:41 PM

Default Re:Stealing

Good luck with your heavy-handed anti-piracy speech on the net, sir. All the stats show that you're likely to be very successful.

I'm not an advocate for breaking intellectual property law, but I am an advocate for accepting the nature of reality.

When you create a copyrighted work, you have to realize it is subject to duplication, especially now. The best you can do is take efforts to minimize unlawful duplication. Given a work with any popularity amongst scanner-using internet goers, it will find itself on the net.

One common definition of morality is what is accepted by the majority in a society. The majority of the society of internet goers have illegally traded copyrighted works so it's hard to make the case that such exchanges are immoral. They are clearly illegal.

The strongest part of your argument in terms of being effective is the focus of King Yao being a little guy. Some supporting data in that regard would be helpful and could actually help him. I think your heavy-handed, nearly apopleptic preaching probably will not.