View Single Post
Old 09-09-2005, 03:27 PM

Default Re: H.L. Mencken\'s Creed

[ QUOTE ]
Not bad, but...

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that all government is evil, in that all government must necessarily make war upon liberty

[/ QUOTE ]
This is nonsense. In forming a government, people willingly give up certain liberties in return for great benefits, and ironically, greater liberty. This is just anarchist rubbish.

You can still think govt is a necessary evil and not be an anarchist. But it would be wise to remember that govt as an institution requires the sacrifice of some liberties, and thus it should be empowered with those necessary functions so as to limit the amount of liberty that must be sacrificed.

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that the evidence for immortality is no better than the evidence of witches, and deserves no more respect.

[/ QUOTE ]
Evidence of either should be considered. Neither question is settled. (I assume the author is talking about an afterlife.)

So, you are saying that belief in witches deserves respect. His point is that beliefs based on no evidence are not inherently deserving of respect.

[ QUOTE ]
I believe in the complete freedom of thought and speech

[/ QUOTE ]Noble, but spoiled by the word 'complete'.

[ QUOTE ]
And I believe that it is better to know than be ignorant.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wonder if the author would change his mind if he was ever truly put to the test...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't even know what you're saying here? You'd prefer the path of ignorance over knowledge 'if put to the test'????