View Single Post
Old 09-09-2005, 12:59 PM

Default Re: An Interesting Spot With Pocket Fours - Taj 50-100

[ QUOTE ]
In a standard game, I can see folding. But in this case, I know it will be 4 ways to the flop if I coldcall because at least one of the blinds will come. I can't really foresee a reraise out of the blinds. So if I know at least one of the blinds will come, I'm getting close to 4-1

[/ QUOTE ]

"If" one blind calls on average you are getting only a little more than 3 to 1 depending on which blind calls.

[ QUOTE ]
and if I flop a set, I will get lots of action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but you need at least one more player in before coming in for two bets. Some of the more experienced players (i.e., the oft unfairly maligned "Jim Brier types") might want two more players. IMO one more opponent is barely break even.

[ QUOTE ]
Once I didn't flop a set, I had to try to play well and I did the best I can (though my flop play is debateable).

[/ QUOTE ]

Note that middle pair (77 to TT) is much better here since you will get many flops with only one or two overcards AND miss your opponents. This rarely happens with a tiny pair.

[ QUOTE ]
If we're talking about a 10 handed game where someone raises utg and everyone folds to me, yes I agree the fold would be clear preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

A fairer comparison would be a ten handed game with a middle to early position raiser AND a cold caller. Most of us would rarely cold call here with a tiny pair.

~ Rick