View Single Post
Old 09-09-2005, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Debunking the \"Blame Nagin and Blanco\" Talking Points

It has every thing to do with your points. The Feds had the ultimate responsibility to make sure things were running right per DHS 2004 SOP.

If you are the boss and see your employees flailing around and appearing to be overwhelmed by the situation you have the authority and the duty to act to correct it.

The Feds compounded the mistakes by not having a command structure in place, which they were supposed to have done per SOP, to coordinate and correct any problems at the State and local levels.

I worked EMS for 10 years. I worked the Oakland Hills Fire which was a complete clusterf$ck due to lack of communications and the ferocity of the fire. A command structure was immediately in place however and as soon as it was apparent that local systems were going to be overwhelmed (early on) mutual aid was called and on it's way. The Governor and President did not argue protocol. They mobilized resources.

Katrina is 100,000x as bad as the Oakland Hills fire in both scope and destruction. These command systems should have already been in place prior to landfall. The Feds told us they were. They lied. While LA dropped the ball on evacs they met what was considered scenario goals and did the appropriate state of emergency declarations to set the Fed in motion.

Blaming Nagin is like blaming a colonel who lost a skirmish in Iraq for the root problems there. I think the Gov has a lot of blame in this but ultimate authority lies with the Feds.

And I'm very glad to see you think that Brown and Chertoff are boobs. This incident has shed a lot of light on cronyism that is rampant in our government on all levels and parties